{Of all lies, art is the least untrue - Flaubert}



Sunday, May 13, 2007

Pachelbel's Canon in D

I am listening this for few months now and tried to hear as many renditions I could find on youtube or otherwise, by expert or otherwise, and obviously, I found it truly amazing, exactly fitting into my idea of music, which is not so much of an idea though. Now its a near-cliche in personal circles that I am musically challenged, I dont understand it, although I try to. In a recently read Bergman interview, he quotes what Stravinsky once said "I have never understood a piece of music in my life. I always only feel" to emphasise that his films (and films in general) should also be felt, which I think is bit problematic exposition, because when it comes to images, their preciseness makes them discursive. All said, I always felt and will feel that for a beginner its very important to understand, rather than to feel. I might take pleasure in what Stravinsky said but that is not an earned pleasure. So whatever little music tends to stay with me for a while and dont get butchered by over-listening, begets high respect from me.

As far as music in films goes, I dont like if images try to supersede it, also I feel little uncomfortable, if because of music slight images try to seek some power. Thats why some of the beautiful Hindi film songs, sound so bitter when seen. In films, I think if music is used, more than anything, it should match the camera movements. Anything, trying to match with emotions and themes, is guiding, belittling both music and images. Look at the use of music in Wong kar-wai films, it gyrates with the camera frame. Or be like Fellini, use same music for almost every film, the music you like, which is also true with Kar-wai. A Bollywood movie is a different game, a different theory holds there and I seriously feel that no other movie genre could and would accommodate so much musical variety, its like a genre which has nothing to lose.

Coming back to Pachelbel's Canon in D, I think I liked it because it sounds like Indian music. I dont know the technical terms, but the main difference that I find between the two is of the long and short notes. In music I like long notes, the dragged, the better. Hold the key longer, use major keys. In Hindustani classical, they will stretch it left and right. Thats why I think, I like most of the things played on cello, and I think if Indian music can be played on cello too. So here are few versions of Pachelbel's Canon. This one is little faster than the original but photographed very well. I am fundamentally against music videos, the best is to shoot the recording or the public performance, which shows the creative process, the hardwork into it and most importantly the pleasure to perform, and the second best is to put a montage of emotionless faces [no kids please], like the montage of pictures in Code Unknown. The idea is not to channelize or steer. This and this are very close to the original. Few versions here, here and here.

No comments: