{Of all lies, art is the least untrue - Flaubert}



Sunday, April 03, 2005

What I have seen ?

Its a long time since I have written about movies, the last one was Cries and Whispers almost 2 weeks back. Though I have seen lot of movies after Cries and Whispers but I wasn't able to gather some time to write about them. Some of them are:

Hour of the Wolf
The Passion of Anna
Contempt
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Annie Hall
Life of Brian
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Aviator
Finding Neverland


The first two movies are by Bergman and both have what I like about Bergman, giving importance to characters and the their minds and hearts over plot or external documentary. Hour of the Wolf is a horror movie by Bergman and The Passion of Anna is again about relationships and the permanency and transience of human nature. Contempt was my first encounter with Jean-Luc Godard and it was an exercise to get what French New Wave was. The movie starred Brigitte Bardot, 60s sex siren. I was not able to fully appreciate and understand the movie and new wave until I watched the commentary and some discussion between Godard and Fritz Lang ( Director of German Classic 'M', he also starred in Contempt) in Special features. Other movie DVD where I really enjoyed the special feature was L'aaventura and it had some great essays on acting, movie making by Michelangelo Antonioni. Pulp Fiction was a re-watch and a real treat to senses. Fight Club was a real discovery, I fully enjoyed this movie. Annie Hall is classic Woody Allen, much on the lines of Manhattan. Life of Brian is again an excellent satire and subtle comedy. Y Tu Mama Tambien is like semi-intellectual Mexican Pie. I didn't like Aviator that much, I don't know what was the fault but it was hard to sit through the second half. Length of movie has never been a problem with me but when you see the an enervating attempt to show a thing and failure of the effort, you feel miserable. Anyway I am not fan of biopics or DiCaprio, but Kate as Kate was really brilliant. Surprisingly I liked Finding Neverland. With time I am not able to digest any mush in movies but I enjoyed Neverland probably because is of a child in me, he came out of coma for sometime.

There were some movies that I saw before Cries and Whispers that I didn't mention in the blog.

Red
Fallen Angels
About Schmidt
Office Space
Manhattan
Sade
Lock Stock and two smoking barrels
Lost in Translation
Fargo
The Dead Zone


Red is one of the best movies I have seen in recent times, provocative and life affirming, After this I am planning to see more of Krzysztof Kieslowski. Fallen Angels is much like Chungking Expess, but not that impressive, although the cinematography is very innovative. I loved About Schmidt mainly because of the brilliant portrayal of Schimdt by Jack Nicholson. Office Space's first half is good but second half doesn't live up to the expectations. Manhattan is a great work by Woody Allen. Sade is potently disturbing but not fully convincing. Lock Stock is good but Guy Ritchie did much better job in Snatch. Lost in Translation is just beautiful. I liked Fargo but not to a level that some of my friends rate it. The Dead Zone is first movie by David Cronenberg and it was good mainly because of brilliant Christopher Walken, I think he is brilliant in what ever he does, remember his cameos in Pulp fiction and Annie Hall.

This is pretty much the movie experience I am having these days. I am planning to write about some of them in detail. One movie I really want to write about is Red.

No comments: