{Of all lies, art is the least untrue - Flaubert}



Tuesday, September 21, 2004

C&H and me...

...as I was thinking before too, one of my early posts will be on the Calvin and Hobbes and my increasing affinity to it... I was seriously thinking what made me such a fan ... But before having a discussion with my friends, I thought of pondering myself... Lets start it... It was a very usual day and one of those nostalgic training time days in Bangalore, just SEEing 'Bangalore Times' over tea, I was struck in a crossword ( as usual, and there is a classic C&H about crosswords...). Surfing usually thru the comic strips and found a whining kid with messy hair shouting at his parents for apparently no tangible reason... the idea seemed to me ridiculous (Now the same idea amuses me, see the difference:))... But the second day I went again to see the then-thought crap called Calvin and hobbes and within little time, the philosophy of the strip surfaced and resonated... the humor and the situations are so Calvin-oriented that you felt like Calvin and told by a six-year old made them all the more magnetic and untamed ... Hobbes always gave the counter views and made the philosophizing discussions more wholesome, although the calvinism dominated always...All other characters are there to define and enrich the Calvin's amateurish versatility... Probably, the situational autopsy of common issues associated with uncommon wit and arguments attracted me... I still feel the same mastery of Bill Waterson art when I read and re-read the same strips. There is Cavin speaking on Good, Bad, ethics, parenting, consumerism, commercialization, love, evolution, and what not ... Still I can't put finger on what drew me to the C&H, but It has done it for sure and quite effortlessly...

No comments: