{Of all lies, art is the least untrue - Flaubert}



Monday, October 03, 2005

Mesmerized.

I saw Ozu's heartrending Tokyo Story for the fifth time few days back. Again, I am speechless, again I am mesmerized. Writing about this film will not do any good, any analysis is superfluous, any interpretation will not suffice. So, I will just put a dialogue and a still (Noriko's) from the film. Try to find it and do see it at least once in your lifetime. I can't recommend it more.




Kyoko: Isn't life disappointing?
Noriko: [smiles] Yes, it is.

Tokyo Story quietly stands like an oldman remembering a simple story of generations, family and people, but it is stunningly contemporary. Heart ruptures silently after watching this masterpiece, cinema seldom satisfies you this much, simple images don't resonate better than this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life cannot be dissapointing when whatever you do clicks or whatever you think off happens. When things are not happenning your way then its dissapointing.

Mridula said...

Sounds like a very interesting movie but I wonder how can I rent it? I am sure not too many stores are going to have it.

anurag said...

Mridula. You can buy it from Palika Bazaar, Shop no. 34.

Also, there should some good DVD rental shops in Delhi that have foreign movies.

Anonymous, Life can be infinitely disappointing, the way you said is just one of it.